The Church of the Most Holy Redeemer, Clonard Monastery is situated just off the Falls Road in West Belfast. Designed in the early French othic style, during World War II, the crypt doubled as an air raid shelter for women and children from the area.
Completed in 1911 at a cost of £32,000, the Roman Catholic Church of the Most Holy Redeemer is an ecclesiastical masterpiece. Home to the Redemptorist, it is built in French Gothic style, with every inch of wall, ceiling, archway, alcove and window adorned with pattern, carved, inlaid with gold, or set with intricate mosaic tiling. The highlight is, perhaps, the sumptuous six metres wide rose window.
The interior of the church is very bright. This is probably because the windows do not use much by way of stained glass. The account of the opening of the church announced that it was planned to eventually fill the great rose window with stained glass 'which should give a highly-jewelled effect when viewed from the interior.' Money was short and the plain glass remains to this day.
Each June the Church hosts a nine-day Festival of Faith when up to 15,000 daily pilgrims pray at the shrine of Our Mother of Perpetual Help. It is a spectacular sight and well worth a visit if you are in Belfast.